If you’re reading this you probably know I am mad about paper craft.
But something else I’m mad about are orchids.
And I get asked this question all the time.
How do I look after my orchid?
I find it fascinating that orchids -and moth orchids in particular are the most popular plant to receive as a gift.
And I totally understand why – they’re such strikingly beautiful flowers.
But so many people have no idea how to care for them once they receive those gorgeous plants.
Which is when I get asked this question all the time.
So, I’m going to share what I have done over the past 30 odd years.
It must be working -because I have gorgeous flowers growing regularly on my many plants.
Here are my top 6 tips
- Tip #1 – don’t over water your plant. You will notice this is a problem if the leaves start to go all limp on you. I feed my orchids once a week (always on the same day, so I don’t forget) and they only get 2Tbsp of room temperature water.
- Tip #2 – drain the excess water from the pot if you can after watering them ( I know…this feels counterintuitive as you’ve just watered them!)
- Tip #3 -use a good quality orchid fertiliser. I personally swear by Kiwicare’s Pump ‘n Feed Orchid fertilizer. I have only found it at Bunnings stores. I feed mine every single week.
- Tip #4 – light is critical for the good growth. Orchids don’t like direct sun on them, but love bright light. My best places for them have been growing close to an east facing window as it’s not receiving the harsh afternoon sun.
- Tip #5 -and this is the one most beginners don’t realise. Once your brand new orchid has stopped flowering -cut off the stem right to the base and transplant it into a bigger pot
- Tip #6 – going on from tip #5, make sure you use orchid potting mix and make sure you buy a pot with holes in the bottom for best results.
And those are seriously the things I do every week .
I have also learnt over the years that moth orchids will flower when there’s at least 2 leaves’ space available from the last spike.
So, I hope this has been helpful and that by trying out my top 6 tips -I might just get asked this question a little less!
If you’re keen to read some more interesting things about me- here’s another love of mine!
Until next time!